Friday, December 17, 2010

The results are in....

Great news! The results are in and it seems the tumor is located in the right pituitary! My transsphenoidal tumor exploratory surgery is scheduled at NIH for January 10. My case is still not "straight forward" but the doctors are designing a surgery and endocrine recovery specific to these unique qualities.

Here's a summary of the results:
  • 8 MG dex - results indicate cushings disease with tumor in the pituitary
  • CHR stimulation test - results indicate cushings disease with tumor in the pituitary
  • 24HR urine - results indicate cushings disease
  • AM/PM Cortisol levels - I DO have a diurnal rhythm cortisol which are in normal range. This would indicate I do NOT have cushings disease
  • MRI - it's unusual like the previous MRI- the tumor appears but is not defined
  • PSSI - The right pituitary significantly responded to the ACTH

I am so very comfortable and excited with my experience here at NIH. Everyone is so very knowledgeable and passionate about their protocols. I am thankful that we have this national resource with a hospital devoted entirely to clinical research. Every patient that I've talked to feels so blessed to have this opportunity to help these doctors to discover new approaches for diagnosing, treating, and preventing disease.

3 comments:

zach said...

that is great news. you finally know what the cause is and it is going to be taken care of. how exciting. you have handled this situation extremely well and it is about to pay off.

jamie said...

What great news. I am so happy you were able to go to NIH. I will continue to pray for you!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Nicole...we'll be praying for you! xo, Amy Miske