Here is my NIH adventure update. I've decided to do an entry summarizing each day I am here at NIH. This is honestly more for me to remember the details as it is only day 3 and things are already getting fuzzy.
Sunday:
We woke up early to head to the airport for a family breakfast at "Old McDonalds." I had a precious, yet amazingly tearless, good-bye with my 3 boys as they ran off to view the de-icing of an airplane. I arrived on time at BWI airport, waited a few hours and caught the NIH van transportation. I filled out all paperwork at admissions, got assigned a single room at the 5NW unit, met with my nurse, took a tour, settled in, met with Dr. Yavus to generally discuss my protocol, filled out more paperwork, ate dinner, and met with Dr. Jee to document my medical history.
Monday:
I had like a zillion tubes of blood drawn at 6am and started my 24hr urine cortisol; traveled to around the hospital to have an EKH and chest X-ray; was evaluated by a physical therapist; met with my team of doctors (Nieman, Jee, Sharma, Yavuz); met one-on-one with Dr Sharma; had a 'victoria secrets' photoshoot; went for a run around campus but the wind forced me to continue in the fitness room; bedrest started at 9pm for 12 hours lying flat on my back with no stress change my cortisol levels (meaning no tv, music, books). I'm afraid this "relaxed 12 hr bed rest" was the opposite as I cannot sleep for 12 hours, woke up at my normal 5:30am and had to lay there just "thinking".... my back was killing me!
Tuesday:
During the bed rest, they drew blood at various times through the night. My 45 minute CHR test was administered from 8-9 and by 10am I was "medically" done for the day! I went to "craft time" and made a Christmas coaster; walked the entire hospital; took a loop on the NIH hotel bus to see Bethesda, watched a Julia & Julia, and got a workout in. I did meet with the recreational therapist and had a brief update from Dr. Jee.
I am extremely impressed with my experience here so far. Things are efficient, yet not rushed, and the doctors and nurses are very knowledgeable and passionate about their research. It is also very interesting talking to all the patients about their conditions, protocols, and medical experiences. There are so many unique and unusual conditions and the medical research at NIH provides much hope for these patients.
As expected...the hardest thing thus far is missing my 3 boys! As anticipated, Jason is being the class-act Dad! "Guys Week" is going well and Jason is successfully balancing fun-time with work, T-care, snow shoveling, grocery shopping, cooking, Christmas festivities (including searching for the elf and online shopping), and regular updates to Mommy!
That's it for now....
Wednesday, December 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment