Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My NIH Adventure: Wednesday, Thursday, Friday

Wednesday:
Took the 8mg dex at midnight for the 9am blood draw. Started another 24hr urine cortisol for the day. Got in a workout. Went to appointments with a dermatologist, social worker, and had an MRI. Finished up the evening with some Holiday Bingo and the movie Four Christmases.

Thursday:
More blood draws at 11:30pm, midnight, 6, 7:30 and 8am. Then started an every 4-hr blood draw at 10am which continued for 20 hrs. We've had to 'redo' the line a zillion times as the blood draws have been a challenge (maybe poor circulation?). Met with the doctor at 10; went to make an ornament at 11; met with the team of Doctors at 12:30. All results in so far are indicating the tumor at the pituitary - which is awesome! Went to relaxation therapy in between blood draws and basically read and talked on the phone in the evening.

Friday:
After fasting, I woke at 6am for blood draw and vitals and then got ready as I was 'on-call' for the inferior petrosal sinus sampling (IPSS) procedure which happened around noon. Spent the afternoon and evening recovering from the procedure and met with the doctors to discuss my results, my dismissal, and my re-admission.

The luxurious NIH accommodations:
I have a single room with private bathroom because I have so many 24 hr urine cortisol and overnight blood draws (I guess roommates don't appreciate that). Each room has a TV with internet access...so am able to check email and play my Christmas music through Pandora. My window view overlooks the Children's Inn and the Bethesda area is beautiful with rolling hills and historic buildings.

The food:
It really is quite good - the soups, salads, and sandwiches are amazing and they have a very good chicken burrito!

The amenities:
I've taken advantage of the fitness room, library, arts and crafts room, the relaxation room, and business center.

No comments: